Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Book Review: It’s Easier Than You Think - The Buddhist Way to Happiness, by Sylvia Boorstein


This is a very sweet little book at 145 pages and Boorstein brings the Buddhist way right into daily life by sharing short vignettes illustrating the dynamics of mindfulness and illumination in simple, routine activity. Within each chapter are 1-2 page stories and writings that are very easy to read. This works well for me because my reading style is to read a couple of pages, then put the book down to assimilate what I have read.

She gives examples of the Buddhist Way through her stories that has a way of staying with you. I will always remember her story about her grandfather, who in his 90s had a routine of walking everyday around the block. While this was a short walk in distance, it was a long walk in time due to his frailty. The author joins him on one of his “long” walks and asks him, “What do you think about when you walk?” His reply illustrates the Buddhist Way when he says, “What do you mean, what do I think about? When I walk, I walk!”

The author does us a great service by bringing the spiritual way to earth, to our humanness. No person who walks in illumination or wisdom leaves his humanness behind by doing so. She shows us this. I feel a sense of relief as I read her book as she removes the separation between those we consider “spiritual” and those who have yet to see themselves in this same light. This book is like a friend who in easy conversation levels the field in a way that eliminates any sense of “other” on the spiritual path.

You will enjoy reading It's Easier Than You Think.


Review by Sanna Rose, RScP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts