Sunday, March 2, 2014

How to Make a Personal Altar


Having an altar in your home can be a visual reminder of your intentions, meditation time, and sense of spiritual connection. It is very personal and therefore unique to you and what you consider to be special.  There are no rules to creating an altar, so I will attempt to give you some ideas and lots of permission to create one in a way that works for you.

Start by determining the location for the altar. It can be created in a main room or if you choose to keep it more private, it can go in a bedroom. Pick a table or shelf and choose a cloth that has soothing colors or has special meaning.

You might choose a large statue as a focal point or several small statues and altar items. I would suggest choosing a statue of a deity that represents the atmosphere you are trying to create. You might choose Buddha, Kuan Yin, Jesus, or Our Lady of Guadalupe; again the choice is completely yours.

Other suggestions for altar items include photographs, rocks, feathers, books, plants, candles, and incense.

I created my altar in my living room. This is the room I spend the most time in and also the room I meditate in. On my altar I have a fairly large Buddha draped with my mala/prayer beads. I have placed a photo that has special meaning to me in front of the statue. On either side of Buddha are two Christmas cactuses that bloom once or twice each year. My altar is simple, which suits me and my personality. When I look at my altar I gain a sense of peace and a visual reminder of my connectedness to all things.

Written by Martha Salazar

In Stepping Stones Books & Gifts, we have a large assortment of items to choose from in making your own, personal home altar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts