Sunday, April 20, 2014

What are Mala Beads and How to Use them in Spiritual Practice


Most of us are aware that some form of prayer or mediation is important to lead a well-balanced spiritual life. When I was a young Catholic girl, prayers were woven in my memory as strongly as “please and thank you.” And rosary beads were synchronized with every repeated Hail Mary prayer.
Mala beads, like the rosary, are used in both Hindu and Buddhist traditions for repetitious chanting, prayer, and meditation. The mala (meaning garland) helps keep track of the repetitions so one can focus on the meaning or sound of the mantra itself.

Hopefully, we all take time out of our busy lives to find comfort in prayer and meditation. Using mala beads can be a simple, 1-2-3 method to support this spiritual practice. Here are two mantras I enjoy using:
  • There is one life, that life is God’s life, that life is perfect, that life is my life now.
  • I am filled with loving kindness, I am well, I am peaceful and at ease, I am happy
Typically, the mala has 108 beads. It is thought, that speaking the mantra or phrase in a repetitive manner brings peace and clarity to the meditation practice.

Written by Alicia Carroll.

Stepping Stones Books & Gifts carries a variety of Mala Beads in our store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts