Sunday, December 1, 2013

Why is Jizo special?


Jizo Bodhisattva is one of the most revered deities, who works to relieve the suffering of the living and the dead.  Jizo is often depicted as a monk.  While he has roots in India and China, Jizo is most often associated with Mahayana Buddhism in Japan.

Rev. Ruth Barnhart writes the following about her Jizo statue.

"I love my little Jizo statue with his colorful bib and angelic expression. I know the Jizo is a representation of the Bodhisattva, the Buddha of compassion. I know he is specifically a protector of woman, children and travelers; but what I love most of all about this little guy is how happy I feel when I look at him. His sweet smile brings a smile to my lips and elicits my inner smile. This is his blessing to me. His precious, playful nature brings out mine and opens my heart to the Divine. That is a lot to receive from such a small statue, but that is the power of the Bodhisattva."


If you are interested in having a Jizo statue like Rev. Ruth's, it is available online at Stepping Stones Books & Gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts