Monday, June 13, 2011

Book Review: This I Believe - The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women

Edited by Jay Allison and Dan Gediman
In Association with NPR

Who knew that eighty essays written by politicians, nurses, artists, construction workers, athletes, parents, and students would capture my attention so completely? This I Believe did. As I read through these short and interesting stores by unknown people as well as famous people, I found myself dipping into what each author believed, and what principles they used to guide their lives and the result was that I felt reinvigorated to look at my own beliefs.

One of the essays that stuck in my memory is the story of how a pizza delivery dude should be treated. I know, hilarious! However, I learned something from “Be Cool to the Pizza Dude.” I was reminded by the simple philosophy of practicing humility and how it can lead to forgiveness, empathy and so much more. I learned how easy it is to take people for granted. I remembered how much better my life works when I am kind.

I recommend this beautiful book for the essays themselves, and also for the short biographies of the authors at the end. I found those to be as interesting as the stories, with the details of their personal experience, current job situation and more.

For a romp in honest sharing by ordinary people, This I Believe, the Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women is the sort of book you take with you on vacation. I would love to hear from you if you have read this book. Please use the comment form below to let me know what you think.

Martha Salazar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts