Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Book Review: Let My Soul Surrender, Grace Notes of a Journey, by Rickie Byars Beckwith

Review by: Bette Smith, Professional Prayer Practitioner

Rickie Byars Beckwith has been inspiring me with her songs since the mid 90’s when I first heard her sing at a concert in Marin. I remember she was directing the choir with no shoes on. She started the evening with little sandals, but soon they were off her feet and she was barefoot. I could relate to this woman right away. That night I remember hearing “Use Me and I loved the lyrics. Audience members began to mimic the choir members with arm movements. It really felt like I was giving myself over to God as I sang “Show me all that I must do.”

Shortly after that I went to the Agape Church in Los Angeles and heard Rickie and Michael in person. What a glorious service that was. She played “I Release and I got to sing along with the congregation and really tune into what it can be like to let go and turn it over to God. It inspired me...
to look at life in a new way by letting Spirit run my life and allowing blessings to come to me.

I attended my first Revelation conference in 2001 in Los Angeles and was very inspired by her music again. As a choir director she pulls the very best performances from all of the choir members and nurtures various solo voices who have since put out their own CD’s. In “Had a Revelation”, Otis Freeman and Tony Novell sing solos that are very moving performances.

In her newest CD and book, Let My Soul Surrender, Grace Notes of a Journey, Rickie tells us how the Spirit works through her. With humble gratitude she explains how each song was born. I especially love the song Mabel, which honors the wise women, the mothers and grandmothers who include prayer their daily lives.

She writes about her grandchildren, her children, her mother and her husband, the Rev. Michael Beckwith founder of Agape Spiritual Center. She has a trim, slight build, but her voice is full and rich. And it is filled with soul from her roots growing up on gospel and singing R&B in nightclubs. She is a powerful woman who has done her work. She constantly tells us how thankful she is for all that she has been given. Her selfless service and humble grace comes through her writing.

I’ve got my ticket for the concert in December. Don’t wait too long to purchase yours. See you there.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts