Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Book Review: I Heard God Laughing: Poems of Hope & Joy, renderings by Hafiz, Translated by Daniel Ladinsky

Poems of Hope & Joy:This prize has been on my bedside table for awhile now, and I have been flipping to a page before I sleep so that I can take the warmth of his words with me into my dreams. There are 60 or so poems translated by Daniel Ladinsky with a short biography of Hafiz and a bibliography at the end. Some poems in I Heard God Laughing I have seen in other works and some I have not. Here’s one I flipped to just for you:

Manic Screaming

We should make all spiritual talk
Simple today.

Gos is trying to sell you something,
But you don’t want to buy.

That is what your suffering is:

Your fantastic haggling,
Your manic screaming over the price!

By Sanna Rose, RScP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts